Monday, April 6, 2009

Forget Paris? I didn't


As if we needed yet another excuse not to watch women's sports....
This one's about to get harsh folks, hold onto your hats.

Women's college basketball is an absolute joke. If I had the DeLorean and could jump back in time and only change one thing throughout the course of history, I would go back and make sure "Title IX" never happened.

First off, any sport where the gap between the top teams and the rest of the pack is as wide as the state of Texas, isn't worth watching.

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of turning on ESPN2 on a Tuesday night and seeing the Lady Volunteers beat Vanderbilt by 60, followed by Rutgers beating Seton Hall by 75.

The same ten teams will always dominate women's college basketball, and that's the way it will always be. The lack of parity in the sport is laughable, to say the least

Secondly, I hate people who argue that women's basketball is "pure basketball" and that the women are "more fundamentally sound" and more "skilled". Pardon my French, but please just shut up.

Because women aren't as big or athletic and have to rely more on mid-range jumpers than windmill dunks, that makes it "pure basketball". That's straight hogwash. It's not our fault you can't dunk, get over it.

Dunking is part of the evolution of sports. Sports slowly evolve over time. That's like criticizing an NFL team for throwing the forward pass. Wake up basketball "purists", the game has changed.

And for anyone who thinks the women are more skilled than the men, you're kidding yourself. I'd be willing to bet my entire life savings that you could throw any big-time men's program's five worst players out there against the UConn Lady Huskies' starting five, and they would still mop the floor with them.

But see, I would never make a guarantee like that because I'm not a total imbecile. Unlike Courtney Paris.

In case you haven't seen this story on ESPN, or simply choose to ignore any news item pertaining to women's athletic competition (You're not at fault), let me fill you in.

Courtney Paris is the 6'4", 250 pound center for the Oklahoma womens' basketball team. According to Wiki, Paris s the only player in NCAA history, male or female, to have 700 points, 500 rebounds, and 100 blocks in a season. She also holds the record for 112 straight games with a double-double (watch out David Lee).

Back in March, during her speech on Senior Night, Paris guaranteed her Sooners would win the national championship. If they didn't, she would pay back all of her $64,000 athletic scholarship to the University of Oklahoma.

When I heard this back in March I laughed, and after Oklahoma's 61-59 loss last night to Louisville, I laughed even harder.

This chick tried to be Joe Willy, Mark Messier, and the Men's Warehouse commercial guy, all in one.

Instead, she failed miserably, and now has to pay back $64G. Good thing she'll have that fat signing bonus check coming pretty soon from the WNBA, oh wait....

1 comment:

  1. Nice post man. Hysterical YouTube link too.

    "First off, any sport where the gap between the top teams and the rest of the pack is as wide as the state of Texas, isn't worth watching."
    Trouble with that though, I'm pretty sure you just described the NBA as well.

    ReplyDelete