Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Curt-ain Call


I hate Curt Schilling. Loathe him. Actually, I don't know if any verb really does justice to express my feelings towards Capt. Bloody Sock. As an avid fan of the Bronx Bombers, between 2001 and 2004, there's no secret behind my utter disdain for the man.

When I heard he was finally hanging it up, I admittedly was taken aback. Honestly for some reason, I thought Schilling had already been retired. The fact that he wasn't ALREADY retired was more newsworthy to me.

Let me just cut to the chase here though. As much as I hate the guy, it would be a travesty if he were left out of the Hall of Fame. It amazes me that so many so-called baseball "experts" and national members of the media seem to believe he will.

Here are the stats on Schilling:

216 career wins

3.46 career ERA

3,116 career Ks

6x All-Star

3x WS Champion

2001 WS MVP

3 20-win seasons, 3 300+ strikeout seasons

Okay, so the guy may have never won a Cy Young, put that down as his one flaw. But one can definitely argue that the Cy Young is an overrated award. I mean, are we putting Cliff Lee in Cooperstown anytime soon? Exactly.

2 comments:

  1. His stats are very similar to Andy Pettitte's.
    Does that mean Andy should go to the Hall?
    Don't forget also, that Schilling has made a lot of enemies out of baseball writers that will be voting for him.

    ReplyDelete