
So here we go, my first official blog post.
'Twas the night before the Super Bowl, and all through the house, not a creature...could care less.
Honestly, I've never really bought into the Super Bowl hype. I personally look to the Super Bowl with less anticipation than I do overnight acne breakouts.
There could be multiple explanations behind my deeply-rooted distaste for the "Great American Holiday":
A) I'm a certified hater; highly possible, but I doubt that's the true reason.
B) I'm a Jet fan; not gonna lie, the excitement of a monumental sporting event kinda diminishes when you know for a fact, year after year, your team has ZERO chance of even competing in it, never mind winning it. (E.g. Cubs fans and the World Series, Maple Leaf fans and the Stanley Cup, Arizona Cardinal fans and the Super...oh wait.)
C) The game RARELY lives up to the obligatory two weeks of media hype; Aside from the Giants' improbable victory over the Brady bunch last February, I'm hard pressed to remember a Super Bowl in recent history where I came away saying "Holy crap, I just witnessed a truly unbelievable sporting event!"
Some truly epic Super Bowls of recent memory:
2001, Super Bowl XXXV; I'm pretty sure Giant fans are still having nightmares starring Ray Lewis. Baltimore absolutely, for lack of a better term, steamrolls the Giants, 34-7. Kerry Collins turns in a Montana-esque performance, throwing for 112 yards with 4 picks and 0 TDs. On top of that, I had to watch TRENT DILFER hoist the Lombardi Trophy.
2003, SB XXXVII; I'm still trying to forget this one. This was the epic clash of John Gruden's new team versus his old team. The Bucs manhandle the Raiders, 48-21. I mean, I enjoy watching the downfall of Raider nation as much as the next guy, but still this one was BRUTAL. I literally could not recall one play from this game, that's how good it was. Dexter Jackson was SB MVP. Dexter Jackson. Go ahead, I'll wait while you wikipedia him up....
2006, SB XXL; Any incidence in which I have to witness Jerome Bettis succeed is dreadful. This is another one of those games, in which I couldn't recall one single play. All I remember is that I was rooting for the Seattle Seahawks and they let me down vehemently. The best part of this game was an aging Mick Jagger at halftime.
All in all, I believe it is a combination of many elements, as well as a possible chemical inbalance that is the basis for my deep, deep Super Bowl hatred.
The only reason I'll be watching tommorow is for commercials. Thank God for the creative marketing geniuses around the world. They are all that keep me sane on Super Bowl Sunday, the holiest of all holy days.
My personal favorite SB ad of all time. The classic "Terry Tate: Office Linebacker"
And now my bold predictions for SB XLIII:
The Cardinals finish their quest as the latest "worst to first, team of destiny" and win a close one. I'll say 28-24, Cards. Larry Fitzgerald, Super Bowl MVP.
Enjoy the game folks.
Haha, I'd have to agree with the majority of what you're saying. BUT, I mean, c'mon it's the Super Bowl! Some of the best games ever have happened on the grand stage...mostly the ones involving the New England Patriots. Weird.
ReplyDelete